7.7 Greensboro, North Carolina
Temple Emanuel, 713 North Greene Street
Hobart Upjohn Jr., architect, 1924

C. A. American Art Colored, publisher; no date, but postmarked Dec. 21, 1925

Temple Emanuel (God is with us) was founded in 1907 as the Greensboro Reform Congregation but almost immediately changed its name to the “Hebrew Congregation” to appeal to newly-settled East European Jews, and to encourage the building of only one synagogue for all.1

In October 1919, the Hebrew Congregation made plans for a new temple, and the location on North Greene Street “overlooking Fisher Park” was selected. The impressive new Colonial-style building, designed by noted architect Hobart Upjohn Jr., was financially supported by the Cone and Sternberger families. The location put the new temple in close proximity to Greensboro’s Episcopalian and Presbyterian churches. The cornerstone was laid in 1923, and the building was in use in 1924, and formally dedicated in June 1925. The building is notable outside for its large colonnaded front portico with elegant Corinthian capitals carved in marble. The interior is distinguished by its convex ceiling and delicate wood trim and moldings.

In an early break with tradition, the temple admitted women into full membership in 1923, not long after women had won the right to vote. In the 1940s, however, a faction of members broke off to form Beth David, a Conservative congregation. Soon thereafter, the older congregation officially changed its name to Temple Emanuel. The congregation moved to a new location in 2003, but the 1924 building was retained privately as a sacred space for special events.

On October 29, 1991, the property was listed as part of the Fisher Park National Register Historic District.

1 Leonard Rogoff, Down Home: Jewish Life in North Carolina (Chapel Hill, N.C.: Jewish Heritage Foundation of North Carolina and The University of North Carolina Press, 2010), 179.